[IP] Radioactive Iodine Therapy

melissa wrote:
>  Secondly, I was wondering if anyone out there has a
>  hyperthyroid.  I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid
>  currently am taking prophylthyauracil

in 1981, when I was 18, I was diagnosed with hyper/Graves.  I took PTU for a
year...9 pills a day....then was told it was in remission.  Had the PTU NOT
worked, my next option was radioactive iodine.  If you do htis, then you will
have to take synthroid for the rest of your life, I believe as the iodine
basically nukes the thyroid.  I would wait and see if the PTU works before I
would do the iodine....personally