RoseLea <email @ redacted> wrote:

> While I don't go out of my way to eat processed foodstuffs, I can't drink
> much juice since on MDI for me, it's like drinking regular soda pop.  It
> makes my blood sugar skyrocket.  So, if I take your suggestion, my only
> choice left is water.  In this country, the pureness of water is a debatable
> issue since most municipalities load their water with chlorine and other
> additives, and there can also be other contaminants in the water.   So,
> what's left?

I'm not sure what you mean by loading the water with chlorine.  It is added in small amounts and the public health impact is perhaps the most significant of any in human history, possibly second only to the pasteurization of milk.  Virtually all water that comes through commercial means is disinfected either with chlorine or with ozone, regardless of the source.  Ozone does as good a job, but there is no residual.  IOW, recontamination is possible.  Chlorine leaves a slight residual, guarding against recontamination, but that residual may be very slightly associated with increased cancer risk -- the evidence on that is inconclusive.

About the only other item routinely added to water is fluoride, which has dramatically reduced the incidence of dental caries, particularly in children.  The only known negative side effect of fluoride overdose is yellowing of the teeth.  There are still some areas that do not fluoridate their water (such as San Diego, California).

Some of the diseases associated with contaminated water are cholera, polio, coxsackievirus (which may be associated with type 1 diabetes!), staphylococcus infection and intoxication, and a bunch of others (I can look up a specific list if anyone would like).  Believe me, you don't want to drink water that has not been treated with either chlorine or ozone.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.