email @ redacted wrote:

> juice contains carbs.. and some of us are limited to # of carbs per meal...
> and i don't WANT to gice up 30 g of carbs for a drink of juice when I want to
> eat a sandwich... we shouldn't have to question if diet is diet.. if you
> smoke, a cig is a cig regardless of the brand.. some taste different, true,
> but all contain basically the same things.  Water is great, but I like
> caffiene, I like sodas and I'm not changing my ways just because Pepsi or
> Coke can't keep their retailers instructed on the correct way of attaching
> hoses to the fountains... so some of us like those "bad" drinks once in
> awhile... we need to band together and fight "the big guys".. its attitudes
> like "well, i just won't drink the stuff anymore" or "I'll just not buy it
> anymore" that let's these big corporations get away with poor businesss
> practices.. I'm a nurse in a coronary care unit.. If a pt is ordered morphine
> and I give demorol "because the bottles look the same and they're both pain
> killers" that's not an acceptable excues.. niether should switching the hoses
> on soft drink canisters... I realize pop isn't as critical, but my brian
> couldn't think of another analysis...
> sorry to ramble, but corporate america gets on my LAST nerve.
> lisa.

Want a real senario that I have no way to know if I'm right or wrong about.

It is possible that pop could be very critical!!!!!

A couple of years ago I had just switched over to my second pump (disetronic) for
the first time.  I woke up with a high - mid 200's and bolused to bring it down.
I came down a bit, though not as much as I would have liked.

Since it was lunch time, I bolused for lunch and some extra for still being high
and went to lunch at a fast food place.  I finished lunch and was reading the
paper and started to "not feel well".....  (understatement - threw up twice in
the bathroom)

This was the one time that I didn't bring anything with me!   Was the bottomless
cup of diet that I had been drinking really diet?  Stopped drinking coke and went
to water.  Felt good enough to drive home after about a half hour.

My pump was not clear so I couldn't see inside.  Found out (before sending it in)
that pump was out of tolerance such that when it ran out of insulin it kept on
turning without giving an empty message......

I never did verify it, BUT if non-diet combined with no insulin DKA was a very
real possibility!

Looking back on it, going home was probably less than the smartest thing to do!
Along with a calculated amount of H and a nap, I felt great (maybe not that good
) by dinner time......

In that too real senario, non-diet could have killed me.....  and life goes

Jim S.