Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:56:36 -0600
From: Doreen McGlade <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] frozen shoulder (well, something similar!)

Hi all--

I had many of the symptoms that have been described by others on the list
and was afraid I was developing frozen shoulder.  I went to an orthopedic
clinic and found out that I have "impingement" in that joint.  Basically,
there is significant inflammation in my shoulder, probably due to
repetitive movements (in my case computer work, shelving books/reading
materials, and gardening  seem to be the culprits).  It is less severe than
frozen shoulder, but left untreated can progress....

I am currently taking 600 mg of ibuprofin 3x/day (my doc IS monitoring my
kidneys closely). I've been going to a physical therapist three times a
week, but now only go once a week so he can monitor my progress.  I do
prescribed strength exercises every other day and stretches two or three
times a day.  I'm also *supposed* to ice my shoulder (to help reduce the
inflammation) once a day, but I'm not as consistent about the ice treatment
as I am with the meds and exercises.  I was also been treated with
ultrasound three times a week for two weeks.

In less than two months, I've regained almost all of my range of motion and
most of my movement is pain free.  If anyone is having shoulder joint pain
and reduction in their range of motion, I would advise them to see a
professional rather than letting it get worse.  I understand it can get
much, MUCH worse.

I've also read that many cases of frozen shoulder resolve themselves within
two years.  I don't know if that is true or not, but I went in for
treatment because I HATE pain (and am lucky enough to have decent medical

Hope this helps someone--

:-)  Doreen in Wyoming