Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:08:33 -0600
From: "LandW" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Frozen Forever?

I have had tendonitis that turned into frozen shoulder for nearly a year.
Have been through meds, PT, chiro, cortisone shots, and acupuncture.
Nothing seems to help more than temporarily.  I have finally resorted to a
strategy I read about here on the IP list: I move the arm until I find a
motion that hurts a lot, and then I keep moving it in the way that hurts
until it loosens up and the hurt lessens.

However, I have noticed that just about as soon as I stop moving, it starts
stiffening up again.  I can't move it indefinitely, because eventually it
will go past loose into so sore that I have to give up the "moving with the
pain" strategy.  Also, there are other things I have to do during the day
(such as work), which don't permit me to be moving the arm constantly.  Is
there some kind of optimum schedule?  Two or three times a day?  Every
other day?  Would it help if I iced it down after a movement session?

What hope is there that it will improve on a more-than-temporary basis?

Laurel Sedgwick
IDDM since 12/74; MM and Sils since 5/98

PS--The cortisone shot thing: I set a temporary basal increase for 4-6
hours and keep testing; and I keep doing this until my BGs get back to
"normal" (whatever that is), which is usually about 3 or 4 days.