Re: [IP] Re: Frozen Shoulder

In a message dated 4/13/00 10:53:03 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Has anyone had this problem out of the blue without an injury? >>

Repetitive stress is an injury too, of course.  I don't know of any
particular source of my current frozen shoulder; when the other froze about
14 years ago, I attributed it to pushing the lawn mower on the hillside (that
shoulder has not had pain in years, although it still doesn't have complete
range in that reaching around behind the back movement.  The serious pain
that I kept seeking treatment for lasted about 2 years, but it was not always
pain free for several years after that).

When this shoulder started bothering me, I tried very hard to keep it from
freezing, since the PT had implied the last one had been all my fault, that I
should have moved it more.  Well, she was wrong.  Cortisone had not been very
helpful on my first shoulder (I had it at least twice), but the second time I
went to a rheumatologist who injected cortisone, prescribed trilisate which sh
e claimed was less harmful on the kidneys, and went to 2 (!!!) sessions of
occupational therapy before it seemed in good shape again.  Of course, it
came back the next year, but I thought it was worth it.  That didn't work
when I tried it again, and I went to about 5 months of pt twice a week.  It's
back again now (after maybe 6 months), but not so bad it wakes me up at
night, so I think I'll just ride it out (being conscious to keep moving it so
there is no permanent damage).

Linda Z