[IP] Re: no bolusing for proteins

I have been explicitly instructed by the diabetes nurse educator /
nutritionist / doctor teams at both Joslin and Naomi Berrie Diabetes Centers
in New York City to NEVER BOLUS for protein and fat.

Rather, I have been taught to anticipate the delaying effect of fats (and
fatty proteins) on carbohydrate absorption and their contribution to my
overall calorie intake. When I first started reducing my carb intake -
remember I am also restricted in types of carbs, since I have celiac sprue -
I began to overeat what was available, primarily fish and vegetables. Even
though they were prepared in a low fat manner, and the fats are "good" ones,
I was eating enough that I gained weight! Go figure...

Obviously, if you eat enough to gain weight, your bgs become elevated and
you need more insulin. Other than those situations, when I eat a virtually
non-carb meal (i.e. 6-7 oz of grilled fish prepared with a shpritz of spray
olive oil, and undressed salad) I don't bolus at all.

I have never heard of bolusing for proteins. Check with your diabetes team
on this one for sure. Be careful.