[IP] Re: testing diet sodas: shall we make it science?

Recently Bethany mentioned:

> I sent a really long email to Dateline NBC this morning.  I also started my
> own experiment, which may help us.  Every evening I visit 3 places that have
> self serve fountain drinks.  (This was I can make sure that I am choosing
> the "Diet" Selection.)  I test the sodas to see if they are actually Diet.
> Of the 3 I went to last night - 1 was actually regular.  (I look rather
> young so I tell them it is a science experiment for school.  I get a water
> cup and get just a small sample of the soda.  I then get the store number
> and address.)  This weekend I hope to canvas the Delray Boca Area. Then I
> can submit this information as a follow up to the equerries I already sent.

What a great project! Would it be worthwhile for the rest of us to consider
doing the same in our communities? Think of the mounds of data we'd have if
everyone did, say, half a dozen places.

In fact, I think I'll go out for my coffee break this afternoon...

I hesitate to suggest that we report our data to the IP listserve here; is
there any other reasonable way to do this? Or am I going off the deep end
again? (not that's there's anything intrinsically _wrong_ with that...)

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."