[IP] dropping

michael wrote:
>  Were these standards developed for "regular" insulin given by
>  injection?? Lily quite commonly exceeds this rate by a bunch with
>  Humalog and an accelerated meal bolus.

Yes but that is the whole point of the "standard" hourly drop.  As I have
explained before, if your body drops MORE than this (and YMMV), then the
brain reacts to a rapidly dropping bg by telling the liver to turn up the
glycagen and starting the rollercoaster.  Doesn't matter if the drop is 175
to 100 or 375 to 300.  I htink Barbara's 75 is more realistic than my CDEs

If Lily is high and is bolusing to lower it AND a dinner bolus at once, sure
she will drop faster than 75 in an hour...I will too.  1 unit of H will lower
me 75 points in 25 minutes....which is why timing is so important.  Hopefully
she will time her bolus and her eating so, as she comes slamming down from
the high, the food is also hitting and keeping her from freaking out the
brain. and not inducing the liver to dump counter regulatory hormones

Basically, if you are going to go by this in an herculean effort to avoid the
rollercoaster, then YES, you will have to gently lower the high FIRST, approx
75 points per hour, BEFORE you bolus for food....delaying meals, but not
taking the chance of too much inslinworking on not enough carbs which causes
the liver dump