Re: [IP] Fw: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #90

>>I think some people are happy to live in their "dumb" worlds and go on >>being told how to take care of themselves ...

While there are probably people out there like that, that is not the
case in this particular situation. Once these people were informed that
there are other options out there and that a better life was available,
they jumped right in with doing all sorts of research.

>>You must really have lived in the sticks.

>I live in a city of 60,000 and a metro area of about 200,000.

Our hometown is <10,000. The closest "book store" is over 30 miles away,
the books in the library are pretty outdated in all fields, and until
about 5 months ago, free public access to the internet was non-existant.
Now, this is not a "poor" community, I would say it is a typical
midwestern town. There are certainly other places in the US where the
standard of living is MUCH worse. I am not saying that most people in
this particular place are unable to afford going to the bookstore or
paying for internet, but there are places where that is the case.

>You don't always know that you need to know something. Many of us were
>raised in an era where the doc's word was gospel.

Thanks, Jan, this is exactly my point.

>So please don't assume people are stupid for not finding things out for
>themselves. Most of the time, they are unaware it's out there.

Yes, and calling them stupid is not going to help anyone.