Re: [IP] Fw: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #90

In a message dated 4/12/00 8:25:54 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< You must really have lived in the sticks.  You mean to tell mean that an
 educated and intelligent person doesn't have the sense to go to the library
 and seek info for himself or to even go to a book store.  Come on......  I
 think some people are happy to live in their "dumb" worlds and go on being
 told how to take care of themselves instead of diving in and trying to find
 out every ounce of information they can about what's going on in their
 bodies.  That is just plain ignorance on both parts there.  >>

I live in a city of 60,000 and a metro area of about 200,000. I checked the
DM books at our library a couple of years ago and found that they were all
out-dated. For that, I asked a local hospital if it would be willing to buy
some updated books and donate them to the library -- which it did.

Now. You don't always know that you need to know something. Many of us were
raised in an era where the doc's word was gospel. Some of us now know better,
but not all of us do. I didn't know anything about DM for the first nine
years. I didn't know there was anything out there and didn't know to look. As
a newspaper reporter, I was accustomed to reseaching different areas, but
didn't think to do it for my own pathology. I used to kick myself, but have
since met university presidents, professors, lawyers, bank CEOs and others
believed to be intelligent people. They didn't think to research themselves,
either. We all just blindly followed our doctor's orders.

The problem is that many docs don't know how to manage DM. I'm also the one
who asked for suggestions on interviewing docs. (Thanks to all who responded
-- your suggestions were quite helpful.) More than one suggested that I ask
my endo who he thought would be a good PCP. Well, my endo is in another city,
but I did ask the local endo (who is a friend of mine). He thought for awhile
... and said he couldn't think of any.

So please don't assume people are stupid for not finding things out for
themselves. Most of the time, they are unaware it's out there.