Re: [IP] rough sports

> Michael,
> When you said that Lilly disconnects all day when she is at the
> river, does she give herself shots of Regular then to get by or does
> she just connect every hour and bolus?  My daughter wants to do this
> also this summer - give her self little pump breaks when at the
> beach.  But Was wondering how to do it?

This is one of those YMMV things. For many activities, the missing
insulin is not needed as the extra activity burns off the carbs,
particularly if we are IN the water. For just messing around at the
beach, she checks every 2 - 4 hours -- basically when she gets
hungry. You have to play it by ear. When things are slow, she will
bolus a little extra before taking off the pump -- usually an hours
worth. But if she will be doing a lot of swimming, it is more likely
that she'll need carb intake instead. She has on occasion used R to
cover for 4 - 5 hours at a time, but this has been the exception
rather than the rule.