[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #89

In a message dated 04/11/2000 11:54:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  am 35 weeks pregnant with my first baby.  I have been type 1 for 28
years, my
 brother, father and grandfather are type 1 as well.  the doctor has said
that i
 have about a 3% chance of having a child with diabetes.  i would like to hear
 how the actual delivery went for others when they take the pump off and use a
 glucose and insulin iv for the blood sugars.  i will be induced at 38 weeks.
 have also heard that you don't need insulin during delivery and up to 24
hours
 afterwards.  also how much did others have to drop their basals post
pregnancy,
 i was planning on trying a 50% temporary basal rate and see how that worked

Hi.  My name is Dee Dee.  I am actually in my 19th week of my third
pregnancy.  Since I just started the pump with this one I can't tell you much
about the rates you will need to adjust during delivery.

However,  with my first child I stayed on an insulin drip IV throughout the
entire labor and delivery.  Your insulin requirements will drop drastically
immediately after delivery.  With my second baby I was also taking
injections, but was using Lente and Regular.  I had to go in to be induced
,so that morning I only took half of my regular dose.  You are right that
most diabetics do not require insuling during labor.  My B.S. stayed in the
40's during that labor.  I actually had to have several amps of D50
throughout to keep me alert.

I am curious to see how this one goes with the pump.  Best of luck to you !

Dee Dee