Re: [IP] Pregnancy and diabetes/ Big Babies

At 5:58 PM -0400 4/10/00, email @ redacted wrote:
>asked my pediatrician this after my son was born.(he is now 3)  He said that
>children of diabetics risks of acquiring the disease doubles when having a
>diabetic parent.  But that the risk of a child getting it without diabetic
>parents is only 1%.  So that makes my children have a 2% chance.  Has anyone
>else ever heard this?  I've also heard many wives tales that mothers give it
>to sons and fathers pass it to daughters????  I am the only person in my
>family that anyone knows of ever having the disease for as long back as we
>can go.  There is no diabetes on my husbands side either.

HI Dee Dee,

An endo who runs another diabetes list said that children of Type 1
diabetics have only a very slightly higher chance than the general
population of getting Type 1 DM. Also, children of DM fathers have a higher
chance (don't know how much higher, but not a whole lot, I think) than kids
of DM moms of getting Type 1 DM. One theory is that somehow during
pregnancy the mom "immunizes" the baby, but this is just a guess, last I

Both my kids were 6 wks. premature due to pre-eclampsia, which is more
prevalent in DM moms (my family also has a history of it). My son was 4
lbs. 12 oz., and my daughter (a pump baby) was 5 lbs. 3 oz. I think,
however, that her larger weight was due more to the fact that they caught
the pre-eclampsia earlier with that pregnancy and she was under less
stress. Also, premature girls do much better than premature boys.

Hope you don't have another c-section too--I don't like them either. :-)

(Type I, 27 years, D. pumper since 10/95)