[IP] fighting insurance co/credit rating

Okay, I asked my hubbie about this - he used to work for a credit bureau
back home, and this is only his advice - i.e. we are not responsible for
whatever happens.  VBG

He said the bottom line is that we are all responsible for paying our bills,
medical or non-medical related - depending on who your provider is, if they
are nice enough to not report them to a credit bureau for collection, they
won't show up on your credit report.  If your provider does report your
bills as being 90 to 120 days late, they will show up on your credit report
and negatively affect your credit history.  He said that since we are
ulitimately the ones that incur the expenses that we are responsible for
making sure they get paid on time - whether or not the insurance company is
taking a long time to take care of your claim.  IF you can afford it, he
said the best thing to do is pay your bills on a timely basis, and then have
the insurance company re-imburse you for it.  (I know, I know - most of us
can't do that.  VBG).  I.E. the bills are legit bills in all of our names -
if they've gone 90 to 120 days past due they are legitimately late even
though it's not our fault - it's the insurance company's fault, and
unfortunately reflects negatively on us, the consumer.

On the same hand, I would go after the insurance company and ride their
butts to get your claims processed in a timely manner, and work with your
provider just to make sure you don't end up being reported because of that.
I think most providers are very generous and if you tell them what's going
on they may make a note of it and wait for the insurance.  I just got my
claim for some stuff I had done in early January, the provider has no
problem with this, since I make the co-payment to them after BC/BS has paid
their share - I get a bill mailed to me from the provider, and that's what I
pay.  They said that if I don't make the payment on my part of the copayment
it could end up going to a collection agency - that's what I'm ultimately
responsible for.  They won't send me a bill for my copayment until insurance
has covered their part.  If anyone needs me to explain any of this, please
feel free to e-mail me and I'll see if I can explain it better.  Hope things
work out -