[IP] Dropping blood sugars with antibiotics

> From: Andrew Aronoff <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Dropping blood sugars with antibiotics

> What typically happens to me is that the sinus infection raises my insulin
> requirement and/or makes it unstable. Eventually, of course, I'll start
> taking antibiotics. If the antibiotics work, in a matter of hours, or, at
> most, a couple of days, my insulin requirement will plummit. Since it takes
> me a while to rachet down the insulin I'm taking, this means I'll have
> hypos until I catch up.
> I'm not sure what you mean by "before the infection has time to clear" --
> the infection can take very little time to clear. The antibiotic is
> continued for its full course to make sure that the infection is ALL gone,
> but the biggest effect is usually felt very quickly.

I beg to differ andrew!  You have it easy my friend.  I usually do not
get any symptomatic relief until after 7 days of antibiotics - this is
also when my sugars will start to return to normal.  I usually get a 14
day course versus a 10 day course of antibiotics for things like
bactrim, augmentin, etc.  Amoxicillin is a joke to my body - like sugar
pills.  I've also had several sinus infections that last for more than
two months until they are finally cleared!

Again, you are lucky!