Fwd: [IP] cataract surgery Kathey-Jackie

In a message dated 4/9/00 10:08:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Most importantly, DO NOT let anyone operate on your only good eye until you
>  get to the point that you cannot see to do the things you want to do

Thanks so much for the info on cataract surgery. I was told some years ago
that I had a cataract but it is not at the point that I need surgery yet.  I
just want to know if I had the surgery and things went well, how soon I would
be able to see well enough to operate my pump. The info was very helpful.

Kathie

-- BEGIN included message

Of course, it will depend on whether or not you have other disease in your
"good" eye besides a cataract. Such as Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular
Degeneration etc.  It is just the cataract and they do the "No Stitch, No
Patch" type surgery, you will probably see quite well immediately, barring
any complications.  If you have the regular older type surgery you would
probably not see your best until you got new glasses to match that eye.

If you wear a pump, don't even think about taking it off for surgery.  The
physician I worked for was really glad when pts wore a pump as their BG was
so much better controlled both before, during and after surgery.  The No
Stitch, No Patch" surgery only takes 10 min., max, of actual surgery.  It is
pain free and the complication rate is very low.  Maybe 4-5%.  Keep you BG
under good control and I think you will have a good result.

Most importantly, DO NOT let anyone operate on your only good eye until you
get to the point that you cannot see to do the things you want to do.
Remember, you have only one good eye and no spare tire.  Take care and let me
know how you do with it.  Hope I was some help to you.......Jackie