[IP] Re: rude comments, and biggest babies

>...or when you tell someone that your 2 year-old is diabetic and say
>"But he's too young to have diabetes."

>!?!?!?Huh!?!?!!? I wish. Are they telling he's not allowed to be
>anymore? Okay, just take it away. I'll let ya', I promise.

It sounds not so different from what I have been told many times, after
being diagnosed just over 2 years ago, at age 48, with type 1, in
severe DKA, drifting into a coma, by many people, including physicians,
and my own mother....
"But you are too old to have type 1 diabetes"
My reaction is identical to yours - are they telling me I am not
allowed to be diabetic?  and while there might, if you are lucky enough
to have access to them, be support groups for newly diagnosed diabetic
kids and their parents, there are no support groups for newly diagnosed
Type 1 diabetic parents and their anxious teenage/young adult kids,
although the diabetes nurse/educator here did offer that if any of my
kids wanted to come and ask questions and talk to her, she would be
happy for them to do so.

I have a brother who has had D since age 22, and been in many nasty
situations with it, particularly in the days before home blood sugar
testing.  On hearing my diagnosis, my mother did not ask, but stated,
"but this is not like Johnny's condition", and in spite of the fact
that I assured her that it was also type 1, she has repeated this to me
many times since - evidently it must be very hard for her as a parent,
even of adult children to deal with the fact that not only one but now
two of her six children have D.  I know she worries particularly about
our well-being, and as a parent myself I can understand this.

I am immensely thankful that I had my first 48 years of life without
the trials and tribulations of D, but other people's insensitive
comments still irritate and upset me a great deal.  The only
disadvantages of developing type 1 this late are the necessity to argue
with physicians who dont know me (and were educated to believe that no
one developes type 1 at such an advanced age) to insist that they treat
me appropriately, and that once they do understand, they assume that a
type 1 diabetic aged 48 for sure knows all about how to deal with D,
whereas in fact I still have limited experience.

On the 'big babies' theme, I understood that mothers who have high
blood sugar during pregnancy (because they have D, or are on the road
to developing it), are likely to have big babies, not that the big
babies themselves have a higher risk of developing D, but stand to be
corrected on this.

My own 4 kids, all delivered vaginally, and born long prior to my D,
were all large - 9lb 2oz, 9lb 14oz, 9lb 4oz, and the last a mere 8lb
14oz - and I was monitored scrupulously for the possibility that I
would develop gestational diabetes (but all the glucose tolerance tests
were entirely normal) since there was a strong family history, and
after the first kid, I had a history of large babies too.

Do You Yahoo!?