[IP] Re: infected sites

Make sure you are not breathing onto the skin, either to dry it
faster or just breathing in general. I read (in the IP book?)
that by doing so, it can cause infections/inflammation, esp if
you are a carrier of staph or strep (in your nasal passages,
etc.) The other thing is, when you wipe the site be sure to start
in the center and wipe outward in a circular motion like so --> @
so that the bacteria you just removed doesn't get reintroduced to
the area. I have also heard that alcohol doesn't really kill
germs (it can also dry the skin.)
You said you use skin prep...I don't think that sterilizes the
skin like the IV prep does (they are made by the same people.)

We had some problems in the beginning with sites getting inflamed
like you described but it was short-lived. I made a conscious
effort to not breath directly on the site and I also started
using those antibacterial hand cleaning gels/sprays on my hands
after washing them (with hibiclens) as well as wiping the site
with an iodine prep pad (then wiping that off) before using the
IV prep pad. It seemed to help (although I confess, lately I
don't always use the hand cleaners and iodine prep pad if I'm in
a hurry, but we've had no problems.) It seemed to help at the
time we had all the problems though.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Take care, Kerri, mom to Courtney-14, Kimberly-11, Shannon-9 (dx
w/type 1 diabetes 11/96, pumping 11/99), Jacob-7, Kyle-5,
Matthew-3, & Ashley-1 in WA
"It is well to be good to women in the strength of our manhood
because we must sit under their hands at both ends of our lives."
He Dog, Oglala Lakota, c.1900