Re: [IP] infected sites AND behaviour (LONG)

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 email @ redacted wrote:
> We are changing sites nearly every day or two.
> Pumping since Tuesday the 28th of March, we are on day # 13 here.
> So far we have had  7 site changes.  By my count, at every three days we
> would have been on site #4 at this point.

Sites should not be red and irritated or contain any pus. A problem which
does not occur often, but is also not rare, is that either you or Paddy
may be a staph carrier. The little critters live in your nasal passages
and do not harm you.... but... if they get in a wound or, in this case,
on the skin or fingers while doing a set change, then they can do their
mischieve. You can be tested for this, but the solution whether this is
the exact problem or not is fairly simple.

Wash your hands very throughly. Do not - under any circumstances - touch
your face while doing a set change or handling the materials -- after the
wash, and before you have finished the change. Now this may sound very
simple, but we unconciously touch our faces quite often, so it is really
tough not to. Use a Providine wipe to clean the sit, let it dry and
remove the excess with an alcohol wipe, being careful not to touch the
surface of the skin or of the wipes. Likewise, be very careful handling
the infusion device and it's tapes.

Another consideration might be that Paddy is allergic to the catheter
material. The SofSet and Tender are different -- according to list
members. Some of whom have solved this kind of problem by switching sets.

Good luck with this.