Re: [IP] Comments

In a message dated 4/8/00 1:01:09 PM EST, email @ redacted writes:

>  Okay parents, how many of you have heard this upon informing
>  > someone that your child has diabetes: "Oh, but he/she will GROW OUT of
>  > it, right?"

This was probably the first question I asked our ped endo in the ER  when my
son was diagnosed in DKA at 15 months of age , 11+ years ago.  I have a high
tolerance for this question.  In fact, over the years, I have enormous
tolerance for most questions that aren't mean spirited.  I knew virtually
nothing about type 1 diabetes before my son was diagnosed.  Therefore, I have
little expectations of others and seize the opportunity to educate not only
what diabetes is, but also why it MUST BE CURED.

It is infuriating, though, when you've explained to teachers  and relatives
etc. ad nauseum and they never GET IT.  I think they  never hear us because
they really don't want to learn.