Re: [IP] alcohol

This subject comes up from time to time. A check of the archives might pull
some up some better explanations, but here's my attempt at a quick synopsis:

Think of the liver as your body's main "de tox center". When you drink
alcohol, the liver concerns itself primarily with ridding the body of the
alcohol "toxins" - it doesn't worry about producing glucose. Hence, the
tendency for your BG to drop when you drink alcohol. As the body rids
itself of the alcohol, the liver will re focus its efforts on glucose

Adding insulin to the equation (bolusing for carbs in the liquor) can add
to the problem, since the liver isn't producing glucose while it's working
on getting rid of the alcohol.

There's a bunch of variables that can come into play here - time, activity
levels (softball during a picnic with beer, for example), body composition,
total amount of alcohol consumed and overall health.

I've always maintained that alcohol is very much a YMMV area - for everyone.

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted