[IP] (Fwd) forward to IP list please - thanks

From:          "JHughey" <email @ redacted>
Subject:       forward to IP list please - thanks
Date:          Thu, 6 Apr 2000 21:42:17 -0500

> Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:36:30 -0700
> From: "Jim S." <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] (Fwd) A post to the IP list, please (sarcastic comment)
> Jan,
> I think a lot of my sarcastic comments are in reaction to comments that
> have been directed over the years at me and at a group that I am
> definitely a part of.....
> And the comments,though probably well-meant, are still there today....
> You shouldn't have kids, you have diabetes....
> It would be too much risk to have kids....

I guess I was looking the other way and didn't realize you made a
sarcastic comment. I look more closely after this. ;) Right now I
can't post to the list and forwarded this to Michael. He's a dear for
putting it here.
    No one told me to not have kids, but my death was subtly referred
regularly. I was sure I wouldn't live to see the *ripe old age* of 35.
I'll be 61 in about 6-7 weeks. But, being female, I investigated on my
own the statistics about DM and future offspring. Therefore, I
purposely avoided a DMer. I have a dau and son (both 38 for 7 weeks)
and 4 grandchildren. I do not now believe my DM is genetically
related. I had boils, sties, and carbuncles from age 3 to 11.5 when I
finally went into a coma. I was NEVER taken to the dr. (dog was) until
6 days before the coma. My stepfather had boils when I was 3 and I
believe I got the infection from him. I was treated with Watkin's
Petro Carbo salve and Band-Aids only. I believe the poison not being
properly taken care of finally destroyed my pancreas. Penicillin was
available in the states after W.W.II and I could have been given a
shot to cure the infections when I was 6,7,8,.... Some on the list
will remember I'm the one whose mom said to get dressed so I'd feel
better. Putting clothes on never did one thing for me. I had 5 boils
on one leg at one time and could hardly walk (still have pock marks on
legs from them) but it wasn't enough to get help. My stepfather
regularly saw drs.  We even had them at our house for him for
    I said all that to say this: My kids are healthy adults except for
disability of my son due to falling off a building 9/27/99. I'm the
only DMer in the family.
    Mom is so guilt-ridden and jealous she doesn't talk to me. I'm the
who was thrown out with the bathwater.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)