Re: [IP] can you trust Fast Food Soda??

Yes, I know this happens all too often...

When I was first diagnosed at 15, I couldn't tell any
difference between diet and regular (my family had just
been buying whatever was on sale at the time).  After
one year of sticking exclusively to diet I had occasion
to drink half of a regular (low BG).  YECH!!!! Can you
say disgusting?  Maybe it was the insulin talking but
it felt like raw syrup in my mouth.

Nowadays, I'll usually order a diet cola ('cause plain
cola is all most places carry in diet) and all too
often, the waiter/waitress will bring back a regular
and I'll have to be like, "No, I can't drink this, I
asked for a diet."

On these occasions I tend to 'reward' the restaurant in
question by doing my injection publicly and making no
effort to conceal it from the other diners.  Not really
fair to the other patrons I'll admit, but it tends to
make management uncomfortable.

> Since this thread of testing sodas on test strips has
persisted, I thought
> it might be interesting to add this info.
> I remember reading an article, even many years before
my son was dx'd with
> but it stuck in my head as I was dieting..
> it detailed a study wherein the researcher asked the
resteraunt to allow
> them to see the hoses leading to the boxes of syrup.
When checked
> something
> like 76% of the resteraunts were careless as to which
box led to which
> dispenser nozzle.  In other words, diet was often
regular and regular was
> often diet.  Now, the one way(regular is diet) would
be bad if you were:
> sensitive to aspertame
> looking for sugar as a quick pick me up
> hated the taste of diet
> the other was equally as bad (diet to regular) if you
> bolusing/dosing for carbs but didnot know to include
the "diet" soda
> And, from my experience working for a gas
station/store I know that is very
> true.  We were told to keep all nozzles running, even
if they had to be
> filled with diet in regualr, regualr in diet and even
another soda in a
> different brand's nozzle.
> Frustrating.  Something to consider next time you
have flukey readings