Re: [IP] Rude comments (continued)

Well, here is the latest verbal assult on me and my daughter.  I had my 13
year old daughter spend the night at a friend's house the other night.
Because she has had severe lows and has had a seizure (although not on the
pump), I briefed this friend on emergency procedures, the glucagon kit, and
what to do in the unlikely event of a seizure.  She was kind of quiet by the
end of the 15 minute briefing, and I wondered if she was somehow shocked or
uncomfortable by how we live as a diabetic family.  The overnight stay was
uneventful, and she took my daughter to school with her kids the next
morning.  That evening I called her up to say thanks again for having her,
and she said something like this;  "I really like your daughter so much. But
she is just like you, so intense.  She devotes too much energy to her
diabetes when she doesn't have to do that.  She has 2 parents who can do that
for her."  Aside from the inaccuracy of the remark, it was a mean spirited
criticism that I was unprepared for.  When people finally get an idea of the
work involved in being a diabetic family (which by the way we have done quite
successfully), they usually are surprized, empathetic and respectful of how
well we really are doing.  I asked my daughter if anything unusual happened
during her stay, and she said no.  Why the hell did this woman take such a
shot at me and my daughter?  All we can think of is a desire to put me and my
kids down, because we have smoother relationships in our family, and my kids
are more attractive than hers!  And diabetes was an irresistable opportunity
to throw salt in a highly vulnerable area - to make herself feel better.
Diabetes is a new source of vulnerability isn't it?
Pissed Off and Ready to "Give the Bum's Rush"