Re: [IP] cataract surgery

Melva:

I have not had cataract surgery but I have had vitrectomy (for diabetic
retinopathy hemmorrages).  I was put to sleep and kept the pump on the
entire time.  I had absolutely no problems.  Your anesthesiologist may
tell you this also but mine told me when I went for pre-op to let my
sugar go a little high - 180-200 - the night before.  I couldn't eat
anything after midnight the day prior so around 9:00 p.m. I checked my
bg (it was around 140) I had some crackers and peanut butter (just a
few).  I never went low and never went extremely high (over 200).  I
called my endo's office before the surgery to see if I should go on
shots for a few days but they absolutely did not support that - they
insisted I stay on the pump.  Be sure you have plenty of insulin in your
pump the night before you have the procedure.  Maybe even change it 24
hours prior to make sure it is working properly.

Good luck to you!

Janice