[IP] Re: non-D reactions to meal-planning

Recently Josh related:

> .. my ex said
> "Is there anything on that menu that you can eat, sugarboy?"...
> I have always had the idea that I could eat anything I wanted as long as I
> took enough insulin to cover it.  Do you all find that people w/o diabetes
> can't understand that?  Or have you had somewhat similar experiences?

Never quite that pointed, but certainly there is a lot of misunderstanding.
I was diagnosed 40 years ago, and at that time dietary restrictions were
understandably tight. But even then I was allowed some ice cream
occasionally, and I could eat anything that didn't contain lots of added
sugar. But my friends, both adult and child, expected me to have to stick to
a very narrow choice of foodstuffs, or even a
barely-sufficient-to-keep-me-alive diet.

And that hasn't changed much, even though the restrictions are much lighter
now. When going to a friend's house for dinner, I'm often asked "What kinds
of things can you have?" I generally respond in a light tone, saying
something like "Good-tasting stuff!" or "I can only eat expensive filet
mignon," and then explain that I'm not very limited as far as choices go.
When they ask "What _can't_ you have?" I'll tell them "No anchovies in the
ice cream, please! Otherwise, anything goes." They're generally pretty
surprised. Doing it this way gives you an opportunity to inform them about
the real situation--I can eat anything, so long as I can make a good guess
about content, then bolus for it; I can even have sugar nowadays! (though
after 40 years my taste buds don't crave it).

I figure the more people know about my disease, the better off they are, and
I am too. And this is a natural avenue to discussion.

One problem: most folks know about "Uncle Harry, who got diabetes when he
got so fat. He finally died from eating the wrong stuff." Sure: but Uncle
Harry wasn't on the pump, or even MDI. He _didn't_ take care of himself
properly. He tried to pretend he didn't have a disease he needed to treat
constantly for the rest of his life. But I ain't Uncle Harry!

--Keith Johnson