[IP] Dropping

jayjay's mom asked
>  >What is an appropriate BG drop rate?

and pixie wrote:
>  There's no such thing unfortunately.,

actually there IS....yes, everyone has a different ratio of how much insulin
will drop them X number of points, but in MY opinion, as well as that of my
doctors, CDE and nurse educator, who have opinions that I actually trust and
accept, it is better NOT to drop faster than 50 points every hour or
so...WHAT?????  you are saying...My blood sugar is 250!  I want to drop 150
points NOW...yes, well so do I.  no one likes that high feeling, HOWEVER....

When your body, NORMAL or DIABETIC, drops more than about 50 points in a
short period of time, the BRAIN thinks it is starving and sends a message to
the liver to dump in LOTS of sugar laden counter regulatory hormones, like
glycagen, adrenaline, growth homone, thyroid stimulating hormone...ALL of
these will RAISE your blood sugar...which is why you have such a REBOUND
after a low...it isn't ALWAYS that you ate the fridge - you just did not
catch the low before the liver went into action.  Even quickly dropping from
300 to 200 can cause a dump!!

So you tke that 3 units to lower you 150 points, to 100, and if you are on
Humalog, it may happen in less than 2 hours...your body is GOING to react to
that sudden drop in bg by dumping in hormones...you can NOT prevent it.  Your
brain does NOT know that you were really high and you are just trying to get
in a good range...it just sees +50~ point drop....STARVATION DEATH, HUNGER -

and thus begins the roller coaster ride...up and down...

Yes, I know, it is REALLY hard to slide down slow and controlled, especially
when it is 2 am you just want to go to sleep....but if you truly want to
control the rise and fall and stay OFF the roller coaster, you ought to TRY
not reacting to a high with too much insulin...I get ReALLY good results when
I am diligent and patient enough to do this...I highly recommend trying it at
least once...

"they" saw 40-50 points an hour...which means don''t aim to be back at 100
from  300 in LESS than 4 hours!   Sometimes if i am high, I will calculate
the bolus I need to lower me and do it with a tep basal...for example 2 units
will lower me 100 points, So I will take one unit immediately and put in a
temp basal rate for a couple of hours to drip in the rest...