Re: [IP] snacks for playing soccer ?

There's some good information at the Diabetesnet site:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/excarbs.html The information is extracted from
"Stop the Rollercoaster" by John Walsh, Ruth Roberts and Lois

I used formulas like this for many years, many moons ago, to help balance
my nutrition requirements and exercise regimens. It was a tricky balance on
injections (many years of NPH 1X / day), but it made me appreciate that
exercise requires fuel :-) I developed the formulas the hard way - trial
and error.

Looking at Table 1 in the linked article suggests that someone with a
weight of 100 lbs. uses approximately 45 grams of carbohydrates per hour
while playing soccer.

I've used variations on this theme for years. For example, if I know that a
particular exercise usually drops my BG ## points per hour, and I also know
how much glucose my body requires to bring me up ## points, I can
extrapolate and do some fairly good guesstimating. If I ingest more carbs
than is required to adjust my BG to normal functional levels during the
exercise, I may bolus (conservatively) for the excess.

I've used temporary basal reductions quite successfully during exercise.
I've often gone as low as .01 units per hour (change my "normal" basal rate
to .1 unit / hour, then reduce that rate by 90% for the duration). I've
done this for extended periods of time - 6 - 12 hours, and ended up with
BGs in the normal range. (it doesn't always work like clockwork, but more
often than not, the results are favorable).

My body seems to need some insulin during exercise and responds much better
to this type of management plan.

This is most certainly a YMMV area. I don't take any of this cited data as
gospel - but it is a good starting point and another way of looking at this

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted