[IP] reality check?

Hi everyone

I was wanting share an experience I had recently.  I went to lunch with a
friend of mine and my ex-girlfriend (which I had not talked to for close to a
year and are trying to become friends) at a restaurant in St. Louis.  We were
seated at the table and handed our menus, while looking at my menu my ex said
"Is there anything on that menu that you can eat, sugarboy".  I calmly said
yes.  However the more I thought about what she said the more angry I became.
 I felt that her comment "sugarboy" was extremly inappropriate considering we
are not that close at this point, to make such a joke.

I have always had the idea that I could eat anything I wanted as long as I
took enough insulin to cover it.  Do you all find that people w/o diabetes
can't understand that?  Or have you had somewhat similar experiences?