[IP] I could have killed her...

Hi guys.  What a night I had.  I cried all night.

I tested my daughter, as usual at midnight last night.  Her BG read 471!  I
immediately bolused her 4.0u of H.  I laid back down (I was exhausted) but
didn't feel right, because under normal circumstances I would have tested
her again to double check the high BG. So I jump up and test again and she
is only 165!!!  I take the pump and suspend it, but she already received 3.5
of the 4.0 I programmed.  I test again...171!! So the 471 was incorrect!
Now what?  I wake her up and pump her full of juice, chocolate, bread, etc.
to counteract the insulin she just received.  She is crying because she is
tired and I am forcing her to eat.  I am crying because I can't believe what
I just did.  I test her every 15 minutes after that until 3:00 AM.  Her
numbers are between 100 and 175 during that time.  I then turn the pump back
on and then test at 4:00 AM and 5:00 AM.  All during the night I'm
hysterical crying.  What would have happened if I didn't get up and test
again?  Would she have died, gone into a coma?  My God, I hate this.  I felt
terrible. This has never happened before.  I always test a high or low BG.
Believe me, I've learned my lesson.  It's just that sometimes you become lax
when your out of it.  What causes a false reading?

Would this have happened if she was on MDI?  By the time I would have loaded
a syringe I probably would have not been as groggy and tested her again
before giving her the shot.  Don't get me wrong I love the pump. Sorry guys,
just needed to talk.

PS.  How much carb is in a glucogon shot?  I was thinking if giving her that
last night to counteract the insulin.

Laura Lentini-Iaffaldano
Mother of Laura, age 6, dxed 12/21/98
Pumping since 1/11/00