[IP] All those =20's -- hypothesis -- part 1

I've been puzzled by the fact that some messages in the IP digest have
extra characters like "=20", while others don't. I know that "=20" is a
MIME representation for a carriage return/line feed. I thought that these
codes were inserted by the *sender's* SMTP server.

Maybe not.

I saw the other day that one of my own messages was so afflicted and
there's nothing wrong with my SMTP server. I also noticed that my message
contained a single accented character, the "a" with a "grave" accent.

I have a hunch. I believe the MIME codes are being inserted by the IP
mailing list server due to a bug. The codes appear throughout the message
whenever a single ASCII extended character is used anywhere in the message.

To test this out, I'm sending this message to IP twice. The first time
(this time), there are NO accented characters. The next time, I'll include
a _single_ accented character right about here:  [place for accented

I predict that this message will be displayed normally. The next message
will be filled with MIME codes.

So, am I right? If so, what's wrong with the IP mailing list server?

regards, Andy