Re: [IP] trying to get one for my son

In a message dated 4/5/00 7:29:19 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My son is six years old and the docs are making us jump through the hoops.
 know my son is smart but he is only in Kindergarten.  Also he is not on his
 best behavior when he goes to the Endo group.  Last time he did act pretty
     I wonder how much is expected from a six year old in order to get a
pump.  >>

How much is expected from a 6-year-old in order to take insulin shots? It
always floors me that doctors say a person needs to be a certain age before
they can be responsible enough for a pump. How old do they have to be before
they're allowed to take insulin? My point is that a 6-year-old does not
handle a pump. Nor do they handle injections, testing, carb-counting or any
of that other stuff. (Generally speaking, that is. There may be one or two
out there, I suppose.) That's what adults are for.