[IP] Pump introductions

For the past 4 summers, I worked at a residental summer camp.  This camp is
not specifically for D (although we have D campers).  As a staff, we are
close.  I am very open about my diabetes, especially when I'm at Camp.
There are very few secrets there and they take so much energy to keep, it
isn't worth it.  Since the university I go to is on quarters, we get out
late.  Everyone makes introductions (for the new staff) at training, but
since I wasn't there, at the first meeting I had to introduce myself.  Now
at our camp, we are a strong believers in birthdays.  And don't think you
necessarily have one of them, or you even know about it before the end of
songtime (which is after lunch).  If you are on staff and it is your
birthday, you get sung to, then carried to the lake and thrown in the
"gross" part (which is all mucky and sandy and you always come out with a
thin layer of it on you).  Some people resist this being thrown in, but it
is envitable (and you are bound to have quite a few birthdays that summer
if you do).  Now for my introduction.  "I'm Maureen.  I'm 20 years old,
this is my 4th summer on staff, I will be unit leading this summer.  And
this" (raising him high above my head) "is Jude.  I didn't have him last
summer.  Jude is an insulin pump.  If anyone decides it is my birthday,
please let me take him off and give him to someone before I get thrown in
the lake.  Cleaning him up would be a pain."  Everyone chuckled a little
bit, and Jude never went swimming in the "gross" part of the lake without
the sports gaurd on.  Also, everyone knew why I could wear a "pager" openly
(we are not allowed to have pagers that are seen or heard, it is a
philsopical thing).

I just name things, but I do think it makes pump introductions a little
more lighthearted if you can "introduce them by name".  It definately makes
it seem like it is an open subject you are willing to talk about (which I
certianly am).  How I choose Jude as a name was first I went through baby
books.  Then I was supposed to get him on St. Patrick's Day, so he was
going to be "Darby" (from my favorite St. P's day movie Darby O'Gill and
the Little People).  I didn't get him.  It seemed like a hopeless cause.  I
was visiting with a friend, and her roommate's mother came over and was
talking about St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes.  I thought it
was perfect.  Diabetes seems like a hopeless cause at times (like last
night when my bg did nothing they should have and I have no idea why).
Getting my pump seemed like a hopeless cause.  But like St. Jude, he helps
so much in making the situation at least hopeful for a better future.  Not
to mention I've always liked how it sounds, and like the song "Hey Jude"

Maureen and Jude