[IP] Re: National Diabetic Pharmacies

I second these people. If you ever get a chance to be in Salem, VA
(really exciting, let me tell you), stop on by. There's a wonderful
diabetic store-I was so excited-and lots of good literature (i.e.,
pamphlets on how to tell co-workers or teachers, etc).

I have a funny story about how I found them. I'm an archaeologist,
which I've mentioned before, and was in Salem doing a rather cool
excavation of a Native American site. There was a port-a-potty on
the site, which is rather rare--I usually go in the woods. Anyway, this
was my first dig with the pump, I had had it about a month. Somewhat
nervous, but it's my job, and I had little choice but to go. I was about
3 hours from home, but staying with my sister, who's a nursing student
and a wonderful support. So I go to the port-a-potty, and noone told
me the door was broken--and the door faced the busy road. So there
I am, trying to hold the door, go to the potty, and trying to pull my
jeans down. Well, the jeans caught the set, and pulled it out! But I
didn't know this (though I had an inkling). Well, my BG starts spiking
up, I start feeling sick and realized (newbie here) that I hadn't packed
a back-up set. So I started driving around to every pharmacy in
Roanoke/Salem. Of course, none had any sets, and they would
recommend someone else. Finally, someone recommended National
Diabetic Pharmacies. I called them, and they called my doctor and
insurance company for insulin prescriptions, and the supplies I
needed, then had a set all ready for me when I got there. They gave
me a room to change it in, and gave me some tips, and made sure I
checked my ketones, and didn't let me leave until I  wasn't spilling
any. Very nice people, so give them a call (1-800-INSULIN) for
supplies. Oh yeah, my doctor thinks this is the funniest pump-mishap
story he's ever heard, and orders me to stay away from port-a-potties!

Maureen Meyers (the other Maureen)