Re: [IP] Long car trips - Advice & A1C result

Hi Linda!
I am from Ontario too. What area are you from?
We travelled to Myrtle Beach last June with 5 kids in our van. What a
challenge...but it was great when we got there. We left at 10 a.m. and
arrived at 5:30 a.m. the next morning, in time to see the sunrise over the
ocean (my kids had never seen the ocean before!). I was not pumping at the
time, wish I was though!!
This past Saturday we were in the car almost the whole day as we travelled
through New York state then back home again. We went all the way around Lake
Ontario. My bgs were quite high the whole time even though I was bolusing
extra so Ruth's suggestion of increasing the basal rates is a good idea. Too
bad I did not see the post before our trip! Just a warning though, if you
stop and he gets quite active for a bit, just test often to make sure that
he does not go low. When we stopped I walked quite a bit for about an hour
and my bgs dropped from 15.5 down to 2.8. Then when we got on our way again,
they went up pretty fast.
Next time I will know to do things way differently!! Good for you for
thinking of that ahead of time.
As far as the A1Cs go, mine went up too, from 6.3 to 7.1 but without all
those lows! I also had a fructosamine done. The first fructosamine was on
the higher range because of illness and site problems but the next one I had
done 3 weeks later and it was much better.
Have a wonderful holiday!!.............Carolyn