Re: [IP] Historical Notes On Diabetes

Yerachmiel Altman wrote:
> Dr. Bortz points out that before the development of insulin, only a small
> percentage of children with type-I diabetes lived more than two-and-a-half-
> years. Thirty percent of pregnant women with the disorder died during
> pregnancy. It wasn't until 1921 that a physiologist named Frederick Banting,
> using pancreatic extract from a dog, discovered the sugar-reduction capacity
> of insulin.
> Since then, millions of lives have been saved and yet the number of people
> with the disease keeps rising. Dr. Bortz says what's needed desperately is
> what he calls a new "shining idea" to match that of the discovery of insulin.

Well, THAT'S a non-sequitur if ever I heard one! Whether children died
of Type 1 before insulin has exactly NOTHING to do with the increase in
numbers of people who have Type 2!

A shining new idea to match the discovery of insulin would be nice, but
until some people realize that diabetes is at LEAST 2 totally different
diseases, their statements are never going to make sense!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted