Re: [IP] naming Eve's pump- Michael

> Why does it have to have a name?? Lily's does not, it is just her
> pump, a piece of equipment that helps her live her live well. Similar
> to a pair of classes, or a good tool.
> email @ redacted

Oh, Michael, it is more than a mere piece of equipment, it is a piece of
life saving equipment that is with her 24 hours, 7 days a week. I figure if
Eve has named objects like her clarinet, her sof-set inserters, Thunker I
and Thunker II (reminds me of the book The Cat in the Hat), her piggy bank,
etc., it's o.k. to name her pump. Eve will be going to a new school next
year (Jr. Hi.) with close to 950 new kids she doesn't know, if it makes her
feel better to have a name for her pump, it's worth it. It could be the ice
breaker she needs with the new kids. When they ask her what THAT is, she
could say, oh this is "Susie-Q", instead of an "insulin pump". Could make
her talk about her diabetes more with new kids, if she has a cute name for
it. Eve is more likely to wear the pump hanging on a belt loop for all to
see, if she has a name for it, when she goes to school, instead of hiding it
and in turn hiding her diabetes. I'm not say that hiding the pump is bad or
wrong or it means your hiding your diabetes and I don't want to start
anything over this.  :-)

The pump is like a member of our family now, it's like a pet on a leash, it
needs to be feed (insulin), cleaned and cared for. Why not name it? People
name many objects, like their cars, boats, planes, musical instruments (all
of my children have named their musical instruments) , things that are
important in their lives, why not your pump?

Oh, by the way, she's going to name her glasses next week. VBG  :-)

Deborah mom to Eve 12.5
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99