[IP] high bgs

<< Hi!!! i HAVE BEEN PUMPING FOR 8 DAYS AND HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIGH BGS.
 I SAW MY PUMP TECH YESTERDAY AND HE THOUGHT MAYBE I HAD GOTTEN SOME BAD
 INSULIN....SO I HAVE FILLED MY RESERVOIR WITH NEW INSULIN AND SEEM TO
 STILL BE HAVING A PROBLEM....TODAY I THOUGHT, COULD IT BE THE LARGE
 AMOUNTS OF COFFEE I DRINK!!!!!????? >>
For the first two years on the pump I would think all kinds of things
caused my "unexplained highs"   I just wanted to share that it has taken me
nearly 4 1/2 years on the pump to learn about the things that cause those
"unexplained highs".    Once in 4.5 years it was the insulin, cause I used
some insulin I left in my glove box during the summer.  I have learned, for
me, and everyone's mileage certainly will vary...50% of the unexplained
highs come from food and my not being aware of fat of carb or sugar
content, and 50% of the unexplained highs come from a bad site.  I know the
site ones, cause I bolus for the high and check every 45 minutes.  If it is
still going up after two checks on the bolus, it is the site and I change
sites.

The food ones, I just have to learn as I go. Like, I almost never eat
donuts.  I felt a low during a meeting where there were donuts on the
table.  Ate a plain one, and was going to bolus when the shakiness stopped.
  Forgot to bolus and went to 375 in one hour.  Another time I ate Cous
cous - and discovered it has such a slow absorption time, as do many
starches, that I was very high for a very long time.   There is a reference
to a glycimic (sp?) index on the pumpers home page    I drink coffee with
low fat, sugar free coffeemate and nutra sweet - I too thought that was
doing my mid morning highs.   Only within the last four months have I
realized I have dawn phenomenon which peaks between 8 & 10 am.  I have not
adjusted my basals, a horrendous 1.5 basal from 4 am to 9 am.  Takes care
of it.  BUT, the point is, it has taken me years to learn all this stuff
and it is still trial and error.

Basically, what I wanted to share with you is that we are all different,
and we all have those unexplained highs. And the pump is the most wonderful
thing that has ever happened to me, but it is a continual learning process.
 Our bodies change, our metabolism changes, we continually learn about
ourselves and what works for us.  So, please be patient, keep working and
keeping records of food, carbs and bgs.  That is how you see the patterns
and make the pump work better for you.
Hang in there!
Bonnie Richardson