Re: [Re: [IP] MiniMed question about resevoirs]

email @ redacted wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't change everythign and how you'd
> about not changing everythign at once... I was told and its really the only

> way that makes sense, to disconnect the QR, take out hte resevoir, put the
> new one and softset inplace.. prime and while i wait for it to  prime I tkae

> my old site out, and then insert...

Yes, that's how the trainer's explain it. I've found that I can change just
the syringe with a new one preloaded with insulin (though I have at times
taken the syringe off, reconnected a needle, refilled it, then removed the
needle) reconnect the hose end, load the syringe in the pump, prime and
connect back to me. It isn' hard to do, all you need to be sure of is that
open connections point upward and have a standing curve of insulin in the tip.
Then just reconnect them with a small loss of insulin where the two meet.

This is rather necessary when using Sil/Tender/Comfort Combo sets, which come
with 5 hoses and 10 bases. The hose needs to be re-used in these, so a running
reconnect routine is necessary.
> How would you be sure to be properly primed and not using more or less
> insulin than you anticipate  if not  changing all at once?

Just don't get any air in at the reconnect stage and prime normally. Once the
whole thing is put back together correctly and feeding it's just like any
other time.

Ted Quick