[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #59

<email @ redacted> wrote:
> The only ride that made me think was the Drop Zone - it has
> a strong warning at the beginning of the ride that the braking system used
> "powerful magnets" and that anyone with pacemakers, hearing aids, etc,
> should not ride if they couldn't remove those items.  So, I had the two
> pumpers that I was chaperoning disconnect and leave their pumps with the
> attendants before they rode.

Not a bad precaution.  I've been on Pittfall at Kennywood, which is a
similar ride -- a freefall with a magnetic braking system -- and never had a
problem even leaving the pump on, but when in doubt...

Magnets are all over the place in the amusement park industry nowadays,
though.  LIM (Linear Induction Motor)-launched rides (such as Batman &
Robin:  The Chiller at Six Flags Great Adventure, Superman's Ultimate Escape
at Six Flags Ohio), magnetic braking systems (Superman: Ride of Steel at
Darien Lake, Millennium Force at Cedar Point).  I haven't been on Millennium
Force yet, but the others have never been a problem with the pump.  In fact,
this is the first time I've heard of a warning sign about pacemakers, but I
may have just missed them.

--Greg (thrill ride maniac and card-carrying ACE member)