[IP] Re: protein

Hi Holly...

	I also MUST count for protein or I end up needing to correct, correct,
correct about 5 or 6 hours after a protein intake.   As a healthcare
professional, CDE and pumper myself, I am surprised at the number of times
this fails to be mentioned to people with diabetes - especially pumpers!  A
certain amount of protein DOES get converted by the body to glucose, but
also AS the protein is broken down to its amino acid structure, and as the
level of those amino acids builds up in the blood, the body releases liver
glycogen.  Sounds like you and Taylor are doing things right Holly.  I am
pulling from something that I posted to the list a few months back when this
topic last came up for discussion.  It's definitely worth repeating.  Hope
this helps!  :)

~Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE
Type 1 since '83; MM 507 11/97
p.680-681 "Human Physiology - From Cells to Systems" 2nd edition.  Remember,
what you are reading describes physiology in the non-diabetic state.

	"A rise in blood amino acid concentration (protein breakdown) stimulates
BOTH glucagon and insulin secretion.  If during absorption of a protein-rich
meal the rise in blood amino acids stimulated only insulin-secretion,
hypoglycemia might result.  Because little carbohydrate is available for
absorption following consumption of a high-protein meal, the amino
acid-induced increase in insulin secretion would drive too much glucose into
the cells, causing a sudden, inappropriate drop in the blood glucose level.
However, the simultaneous increase in glucagon secretion elicited by
elevated blood amino acid levels increases hepatic (liver) glucose
production.  Since the hyperglycemic actions of glucagon counteract the
hypoglycemic actions of insulin, the net result is maintenance of normal
blood glucose levels during absorption of a meal that is high in protein but
low in carbohydrates."

	In english, *lol* - rising amino acid levels (from protein breakdown) cause
the liver to release glucose.  In the non-diabetic state, this would be
protective from hypoglycemia.  In the diabetic state, we are all too
familiar with the results.