[IP] mixing insulins and protein

We are going to attempt to mix insulins today for the first time.  We will
be mixing H & R.  I have gotten some really great advice from emailing
another person privately, but I am curious how other individuals do the mix.
We are doing this to attempt to lengthen the time between set changes.  If
Taylor uses his legs we are lucky to get 2 days, if he uses his tummy we get
about 3 days.  We use the softset micro QR and do ok so far, I don't know if
I can convince him to do the Sil or not.  I am hoping to get him to attempt
the upper hip area today.

Also I was wondering if anyone else had a lot of problem with protein?  He
was dx 3-99 and started pumping
3-00.  He has to count every gram of protein for breakfast, but the rest of
the day he totals them up and multiplies by 0.6.  His blood sugars really
seem affected by it.  Any helpful (I know non-medical) advice would be
greatly appreciated.
pumper mom to Taylor (9) dx 3-9-99 pumping 3-6-00
Amanda (8 today)
Alex (2)