Subject: [IP] mexican food low/high

Mexican, Pizza, Chinese, and bagels - all are hard to predict.  I think
you're right on - the fat slowed down the absorbtion of the carbs, hence the
low at 2 hrs later, then the carbs kicked in, then the fat kicked in.
There are a thousand ways to deal with the fat, none very precise.   If you
have a MM pump, then the dual wave is the way to go.  If you have a
Disetronic, subtract a couple of units from your initial bolus, then set a
temporary basal rate of somewhere 150-200%.  You just have to play around
with it.  And check, check, check.  When Jenna eats a meal like that, I
always sigh, because I know it means I'll be getting up every 3 hours or so
all night to bolus down high sugars.

Nancy Morgan

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 12:46:57 EST
From: email @ redacted

Just wanted to get any ones oppinion on what happened here. We went out for
Mexican food last night and Kevin was 136. He had been playing basketball
before that, but not extremely hard.  He had a chicken taco, bean, rice,
tortilla chips with salsa and one order of nachos (yes, this 12 year old can
eat..lol) and an ice cream. We counted all the carbos, feeling we were right
on target and about 2 hrs later he was 56. We thought maybe we didn't count
carbs correctly so we gave him 2 glucose tabs and a cup of milk. That always
seems to hold him through the night. Well, this morning he came in at 322.
Could it be the fat in the food?  What should I do next time?

Thanks, Linda, mom to Kevin