Re: [IP] Laser tag and pumping

On 1 Apr 00, at 20:53, email @ redacted wrote:

> Liz went with some friends to play laser tag. I had her disconnect from her
> pump and leave it with me before she went in because I didn't want to take a
> chance that the lasers would zap her pump. Does anyone know if it's safe to
> keep a pump on in this situation?

The lasers used in laser tag won't damage, interfere or otherwise be noticed
by the pump.  If a laser powerful enough to zap a pump were even available
in a packaging anything like a laser tag gun the military would be using them.
 They've been trying for years to produce such a critter - but the best
they've been able to come up with are rather large, require a lot of
electricity, a big tank of chemicals, or a nuclear bomb to fire the laser.
This means that military lasers aren't usable for many things period
because it costs too much per shot to fire them...

"Laser" is another one of those words that people read too much into - your
CD player contains a laser, and your CDROM drive or DVD drive probably
contain mulitiple lasers...  And then there are the "laser pointers" that you
can buy at most discount, hardware and drug stores for less than five

Engineering, Physics, Electronics, Computer Science and Religion make for a
strange mix of knowledge...  but it's funny how much of each field is useful
in surviving diabetes and making use of the available technology...  Speaking
of off topic technology - have any of the amateur radio operators on the
list taken advantage of the upgrade window between now and the 15th?

Hope everyone has an uneventful changeover to daylight savings time!

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)