Re: [IP] mexican food low/high

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 9:46 AM
Subject: [IP] mexican food low/high

> Just wanted to get any ones oppinion on what happened here. We went out
> Mexican food last night and Kevin was 136. He had been playing basketball
> before that, but not extremely hard.  He had a chicken taco, bean, rice,
> tortilla chips with salsa and one order of nachos (yes, this 12 year old
> eat..lol) and an ice cream. We counted all the carbos, feeling we were
> on target and about 2 hrs later he was 56. We thought maybe we didn't
> carbs correctly so we gave him 2 glucose tabs and a cup of milk. That
> seems to hold him through the night. Well, this morning he came in at 322.
> Could it be the fat in the food?  What should I do next time?
> Thanks, Linda, mom to Kevin
In my case both the beans and rice, not to mention the fat will delay the
peak by several hours. I use either square wave or dual wave boluses for
these types of meals. For square wave I just set the bolus for the full
amount over 2 to 3 hours, while for dual use about one third now and the
rest over 3 hours. This depends on what else I am having and what my BG
tests at.
His MMV.
 I second the notion that the 59 may have been a false reading. Whenever I
get those numbers or over 200 I retest.
Its a constant learning process.