[IP] Re: Bad insulin vs. good coffee

Recently Barbara Fraker wrote:

>Hi!!! i HAVE BEEN PUMPING FOR 8 DAYS AND HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIGH BGS.
>I SAW MY PUMP TECH YESTERDAY AND HE THOUGHT MAYBE I HAD GOTTEN SOME BAD
>INSULIN....SO I HAVE FILLED MY RESERVOIR WITH NEW INSULIN AND SEEM TO
>STILL BE HAVING A PROBLEM....TODAY I THOUGHT, COULD IT BE THE LARGE
>AMOUNTS OF COFFEE I DRINK!!!!!????? ANY FEEDBACK REGARDING THIS WOULD
>REALLY HELP ME OUT.
>BARB

Barbara,

Three things:

1) I don't think you should be looking for unusual problems like bad insulin
this early in the game. It takes much longer than eight days to work out
your basals and boluses properly; I was six months into the process before I
started feeling like I had it nailed down. If your endo isn't helping you do
the basal calculations (fasting and testing frequent BGs, for instance), ask
him why not! And, rereading your post, I note that you mention a "pump tech"
rather than an endo. I'm not sure a "pump tech" is going to provide all the
help you really need to get started.

My endo, BTW, started me out at what he thought would be low levels of
basals and boluses, so I wouldn't go hypo while we were working things
through; he expected to raise the dosages from where we started. Good thing,
too: it turned out I was more sensitive to insulin than most people, so
where we started was close to where we ended. I run at 0.2 u/hr during the
day, for example.

In any case, you probably shouldn't worry about high BGs at the start, so
long as you can bring them down with a bolus. It's part of the process. You
should be able to improve things over the next few weeks.

B) I'm gonna diffidently suggest that you not use your "Caps Lock" key for
an entire message. Basic Netiquette standards say that's like shouting. Of
course, sometimes you _need_ to shout. Which leads me to...

iii) IT HAD BETTER NOT BE THE COFFEE!!!!!! If I find out coffee is a serious
problem, I'm in trouble! Properly-prepared coffee is the ambrosia of the
gods, the nectar of the cosmos, the life-giving fluid of the universe. If I
have to choose between coffee and good BGs... well, let me think about that
for a minute.
   I'll be interested in hearing from the pundits about the effects of
coffee. (Jeez, coffee could be bad for you? What can those people be
thinking?!)

--Keith Johnson