[IP] medical ID

A few years ago we discussed the pros anc cons, whys and whereforees of
wearing medical ID

as a kid, I hated wearing that dog tag, and the bracelet was even worse, so
my dad got me a gorgeous 14 k gold bracelet when I was 16 or so...He had a
jeweler make it for me...it had a caduescus (sp) on the top, and my name,
Diabetic, doctor name etc.  First time I worse it, I scratched it to
pieces...Gold is a very soft metal I guess, cuz it was soon almost
illegible...I didn't wear it much, and in fact we soon moved and the numbers
and doctors were wrong anyway... I never wore anything again until I got the
pump, at which point I got this relatively ugly, but hopefully recognizable
bracelet from Medic Alert.  Mine says

I never take it off...except for my sister's wedding, and I think they took
it off me while I was unconscious for the FIRST vitrectomy.  I had them tape
it to my arm before I went into surgery for my appendix...didn't want to risk
them taking it off and then going - "duuuuhhhhhh...what is this beeper
attached to her for".....after I had already talked the anesthesia guy into
letting me keep it!

Personally, I think we should reconsider the forehead DEFECTIVE tattoo we
discussed a while ago...

But seriously, what is the point of wearing this medic alert bracelet when
the people it is THERE for IGNORE it?  I have ruined many a fashion statement
in black velvet by not taking the ugly steel bracelet off!   It scares me!  I
live alone!  I rely on this little bracelet!  The day before I left for
Chicago, where I ended up in ER for my appendix, I was walking to work,
cramped over, in serious pain, and walked by 3 cops in cars and 2 on horses
on my way to the office.  I leaned on a wall every 100 feet or so...do you
think ONE of them came to my aid or even noticed me - and I work IN Times
Square - a rather busy part of New York!!  HA.  Guess I need to be
foaming at the mouth or throwing food items at people to get them to see me.

I did an informal poll of New York's finest...basically I walked up to these
Hitler-esque Men In Blue (with my hand out, like you would approach any wild
animal), and once they were convinced I wasn't go throw rocks at them, I
would ask:

"Do you routinely check for medic alert jewelry when you find someone
unconscious or in an accident situation?"

Most of them, I am disgusted to say, are like, "uuhhhh, yeah sure," (meaning
- NO).  Many of these bone heads looked at me in complete ignorance!  The
most frightening "poll" was the evening I walked up to 3 of them (they are
even scarier when they get together in packs...) and asked the question.  One
of them (very blond, Aryan looking) stared at me suspiciously at me and asked
why I wanted to know.  I said just an informal poll for my on-line support
group.  Then he noticed my pump, since I was wearing a dress with the pump on
my belt.  He goes, "are you recording this?" as he points to the pump, the
little blond hairs on his neck bristling up.  I said no, told him what it
was, receiving more blank and suspicious looks for my trouble.

So I asked, "if I was laying in the gutter unconscious, would you haul me off
to "dry out" or would you think there was some kind of medical emergency?"
One of them said, "well, the way you are dressed, we would probably assume
something was wrong."  This scared me cuz I was dressed rather nice, which is
NOT a normal thing.  Usually I am in very casual clothes...sometimes even
raggy workout wear.  I am thinking the tattoo idea on my forehead might not
be such a bad idea!