[IP] Grief

I agree with Kathleen that grief upon diagnosis of DM, whether in
yourself, or your child, is a very strong and real emotion. And it is
not resolved particularly quickly, either.

When the nurse was teaching me to use a meter, and the dietitian was
giving me a meal plan, do you know what I did? BAWLED the whole time.

It's been 6 1/2 years since then, and I STILL feel grief at times. But
I'm determined to enjoy life -- I also had a coronary artery spasm,
which is like a heart attack at age 44, and I don't know how long I'll
live -- so I better enjoy life NOW!

I've lost both parents, and my first CAT(!!) and felt grief -- and my
chiefest observation is that the sorrow doesn't go away, but there is
still room in my heart to love others -- so I "adopt" other parents,
other cats, and really DO love them. It doesn't make the sadness go
away, but it does add joy. I am fortunate to have a beautiful, adult
son, but I've ALSO "adopted" other people's children, because I just
want to love them. So I now have two sons, two daughters and two
sons-in-law -- their parents are happy and well, and sharing their
children with me!!! By expanding the joy, the sorrow takes a smaller
portion of my soul!

If your child has DM, it is natural for you to grieve, and feel sad, but
remember that your child still has the capacity to give you joy, and to
feel joy himself, and so be open to that. It's the best you can do!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted