[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #99

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] pumping up some advice!
> Even though We have gain much by this IP group already-
> Would  some of you that have been doing this for a while give some of us new
> & will be ( Pumpers) some advice .   Things that you wish you would have done
> when you started out or wish you had done differently. Stuff you wish you
> knew when starting out.   Thanks!!!!

I wish I had known about this group when I started pumping!  In the short time I
have been here, I have learned about the book Pumping Insulin, which has been very
helpful to me.  I have learned groovy tips on where to hide the pump if I want to
go "undercover" (as well as encouragement from Sara to paste it to my forehead if I
damn well please ; )  I have new perspectives on Humalog, which I am getting ready
to try, and infusion set options.

I can't think of anything I regret about starting the pump or my early use of it,
except that I had only the medical perspective to guide me.  It's helpful, but
narrow in scope.  Having a whole cadre of educated, involved pumpers
has been very helpful in dealing with the day-to-day realities.  Like making that
17th call to the insurance company about the same issue. . . .

> Do you guys always achieve normal sugars?

> Is he expecting too much?

> How long will it take to get that perfect control?

I hate the word perfect.  Make it your goal to find a balance between healthy
control of diabetes and health in the rest of your life.  Flexibility,
clear-headedness, joy, comfort, laughter, free time, and adequate sleep are all as
important as "good" blood sugars.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of the Pump!